Amish Lemon Sponge PieFrom lanacountry 8 years ago
- AMISH lemon SPONGE PIE shopping list
- 2 1/2 c. sifted cake flour shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 2/3 c. shortening shopping list
- 1/3 c. cold water (approximately) shopping list
- FILLING FOR ONE 9" UNCOOKED PIE SHELL: shopping list
- 2 tbsp. butter shopping list
- 1 c. sugar shopping list
- 3 eggs, separated shopping list
- 3 tbsp. flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- lemon juice & rind of 1 lemon shopping list
- 1 1/2 c. hot milk shopping list
How to make it
- Measure sifted flour, add salt and sift again.
- Cut in shortening using a pastry blender or two knifes.
- Sprinkle with water mixing lightly with fork. press into ball.
- Makes enough pastry for a 9 inch two crust pie or two shells.
- Cream butter; add sugar and egg yolks.
- Beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir in flour, salt, lemon juice, rind and hot milk. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for approximately 40 minutes.