White Bean Stew with ShrimpFrom frankieanne 8 years ago
- 1 lb. dried Great Northern white beans shopping list
- 3 Tbs. olive oil shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 carrots, chopped shopping list
- 1 celery stalk, chopped shopping list
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste shopping list
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar shopping list
- 5 cups chicken broth or water shopping list
- 1 Tbs. salt shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds shopping list
- 1 lb. shrimp, shelled and deveined shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped, pitted nicoise olives shopping list
- Dash of red pepper sauce (such a Tobasco) shopping list
- 6 slices French bread shopping list
- Chopped parsley, for garnish (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Place beans in a bowl with enough water to cover by three inches and soak overnight.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy sauce pan. Saute onion, carrots, celery and garlic for five minutes over medium-high heat until onions are translucent. Drain and rinse beans and stir into vegetables.
- Stir in tomato paste and vinegar and cook, stirring, for two more minutes. Add enough stock or water to pan to cover the beans with 1-1/2 inches of liquid (about five cups). Stir in salt, bay leaves and fennel seeds. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to one hour or until beans are tender.
- Remove bay leaves. Stir in shrimp and olives into beans and heat for about three minutes or until shrimp are cooked through. Stir in red pepper sauce.
- Place a slice of bread into each bowl and ladle stew over bread. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
The Cookfrankieanne Ukiah, California
- Not added to any groups yet!