Gingerbread MenFrom chefelaine 8 years ago
- 4 cups flour shopping list
- 3/4 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tsp ginger --- or more to taste shopping list
- 1 tsp nutmeg shopping list
- 1 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 tsp allspice shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cloves shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine shopping list
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed shopping list
- 1 cup light molasses shopping list
- icing shopping list
- 1 egg white shopping list
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Into a bowl, combine flour, baking soda,salt, ginger,nutmeg,cinnamon,allspice & cloves.
- Set this mixture aside...
- In a large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and molasses thoroughly.
- Stir in the flour mixture, and mix until well combined .
- Use your hands -- if you don’t like the idea of doing this, you can use plastic gloves to handle the dough.
- Form this dough into four balls.
- Wrap these in waxed paper or plastic storage bags and refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
- Make gingerbread-man shaped design out of heavy cardboard -- or use a cookie cutter in desired shape....
- Preheat your oven about 5 minutes to 375*F...
- Remove only one ball of dough at a time, to cut--- the dough should stay cold to work with-- it retains its shape better.
- Press currants into the dough for eyes and buttons...
- Make mouth with tip of knife, cutting into a smiling \/ shape.
- Bake about 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- emove at once and cool --
- this recipe should make about 2 dozen cookies.
- *****Hint-- for softer cookies, remove from oven sooner.
- For harder, crisper cookies-- leave in the oven about 1 minute longer.
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups sugar
- In medium bowl, beat the egg white with the sugar, adding sugar gradually.
- When all the sugar is added, add one tbsp of water.
- Beat until the mixture is smooth and stiff.
- Using a pastry bag with writing tip (or tip of your preference) pipe this onto each cookie to shape jacket, pants, shorts, caps, etc........ the more variety and color, the better.
- . *****Hint: If you are coloring this icing, check consistency for addition of vegetable coloring.
- If you need to thicken it a little more, add a touch more sugar and beat again to desired consistency.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating7 people
Have never made gingerbread men before. Looking forward to trying this recipe. Thanks!sharyl4 in Mohave Valley loved it
always loved gingebread men as a kid, and still do as an adult. Thanks Elaine. This recipe brings back VERY fond memories of when my Mom made them :)
Petedagnabbit in Barrie loved it