Lemony Mushroom RisottoFrom midgelet 8 years ago
- 2 and 2/3 cups boiling-hot water shopping list
- 1/2 oz dried porcini mushrooms shopping list
- 3 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/2 lb small cremini mushrooms, quartered shopping list
- 1 small onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons arborio rice (8 oz) shopping list
- 1/4 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest shopping list
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Pour 2/3 cup hot water over porcini in a heatproof cup and let stand until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Lift porcini out of water, squeezing excess liquid back into cup, and rinse well to remove any grit.
- Coarsely chop porcini.
- Pour soaking liquid through a paper-towel-lined sieve into a glass measure and reserve.
- Meanwhile, bring broth and remaining 2 cups hot water to a simmer. Keep at a bare simmer, covered.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then saute cremini, stirring, until browned, about 7 minutes.
- Add porcini and reserved soaking liquid to skillet and boil, stirring, 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Cook onion in 1 and 1/2 tablespoons butter in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Add wine and simmer, stirring constantly, until absorbed.
- Stir in 1/2 cup simmering broth mixture and cook at a strong simmer, stirring frequently, until broth is absorbed.
- Continue simmering and adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and letting each addition become absorbed before adding the next, until rice is tender but still 'al dente' and creamy (it should be the consistency of a thick soup), 18 minutes. (There will be leftover broth.)
- Stir in zest, mushrooms, remaining 1 and 1/2 tablespoons butter, parmesan, parsley, and pepper to taste. (If necessary, thin risotto with some of remaining broth.)
- Serve immediately.