Zillas Scalloped TomatoesFrom chefzilla 6 years ago
- 1 cup chopped celery shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. butter shopping list
- 8 medium tomatoes (about 2-1/2 lb.), coarsely chopped shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. snipped fresh cilantro (or 1 teaspoon dried) shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. snipped fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried) shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 tsp. snipped fresh oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried) shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. pepper shopping list
- 4 slices whole wheat bread shopping list
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted shopping list
How to make it
- In a large saucepan, cook celery and onion in 2 tablespoons hot butter over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender. Take from heat. Stir in the tomatoes, cilantro, basil, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Spoon into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender container or food processor bowl, cover and blend or process bread, 1 to 2 slices at a time, until coarse crumbs remain. Put in to a medium bowl. Add Parmesan cheese and melted butter and toss good. Sprinkle crumb mixture over the baked tomato mixture. Bake about 20 minutes more or until topping is golden brown and tomato mixture is heated through. Serve with a slotted spoon.
People Who Like This Dish 6
The Cookchefzilla Hope, AR
The Rating26 people
Very ingenious dish! High 5!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
high 5 great recipe thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
I love scalloped tomatoes. Wonderful post. Thank you.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!