Baked Rigatoni with Eggplant and SausageFrom mamalou 7 years ago
- kosher salt shopping list
- extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 6 links fennel pork sausage (about 3/4 pound) shopping list
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- 1 large can (28 ounces) peeled whole tomatoes, preferably San Marzano shopping list
- Leaves from 1 small bunch basil shopping list
- 1 pound rigatoni shopping list
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 cup freshly grated parmigiano-Reggiano shopping list
How to make it
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat for the pasta. Get yourself a 9 by 13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Heat a 2 count of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and toss in the hot oil for 3 to 4 minutes, you want them nicely browned on the outside but still rare on the inside. Put the sausages in the baking dish.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Add a generous 1/3 cup of oil to the skillet and get it hot. Add as many eggplant pieces as you can comfortably fit in a single layer and sprinkle well with salt. Cook, turning, for 7 to 8 minutes, until the eggplant is nice and browned, crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Use a spatula to put the eggplant into the baking dish with the sausage. Cook the rest of the eggplant pieces, adding more oil to the pan, as needed, and putting the finished eggplant into the baking dish.
- Add another 2 count of oil to the skillet, then your onion and garlic, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until translucent. Dump the whole can of tomatoes and their juices into a bowl and crush the tomatoes with your hands to break them up; add that to the pan with the basil and cook it down until pulpy and relatively thick. This will take about 15 minutes.
- By this time your pasta water will be boiling. Add the rigatoni, give it a stir, and cook for 6 to 7 minutes, it should be slightly firm as it will cook further in the oven. Ladle out 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water and reserve; the drain the rigatoni.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Chop the sausages into nice big, bite-size chunky pieces and return the pieces to the baking dish. Add the tomato sauce, rigatoni, and the reserved pasta water. Break up half the mozzarella over the mixture, season with salt and pepper, and gently mix with your hands or a spatula. Dust with the Parmigiano and drizzle with more olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes. Spread the remaining mozzarella in an even layer over the top and continue to bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
The Cookmamalou Attleboro, MA
The Rating3 people
What a dish. I can not wait to give it a try.
Thank you for the post! *5*
Tilgidhtilgidh in Blackshear loved it
OooooOOOOOOOooooo, what a recipe!crabhappychick in Pittsburgh loved it
I've only seen his show a few times in the summer, but his recipes always sound really flavorful.joe1155 in Munchen loved it