Italian Braised Chicken With Red Potatoes And Artichoke HeartsFrom chinablue 5 years ago
- 2 split chicken breasts with skin and bone shopping list
- 3-4 medium (3 inch) redskin potatoes, scrubbed and halved shopping list
- 1 can artichoke hearts shopping list
- 1 cup thick cut carrots(optional) shopping list
- 3 (or more) cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/4 cup course chopped onions shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2 tsp. dried thyme shopping list
- 2 tsp. oregano shopping list
- 1 cup good white wine (I use cafe chardonnay) shopping list
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups chicken stock/broth (canned works just fine!) shopping list
- 2 tblsp. butter shopping list
- salt and pepper to your taste (I add a little after each addition of ingredients) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 450
- use a heavy dutch oven or skillet with well fitting lid
- salt and pepper breasts
- place dutch oven on stove eye over medium high heat
- add olive oil and allow to become hot
- sear chicken quickly, skin side down first, then turn when nicely brown and brown underside(the chicken will cook through later in the oven)
- remove chicken to plate
- sprinkle cut side of potatoes with half of the herbs, then place cut side down into oil
- turn when golden brown and brown until skins lose most of their red color
- remove potatoes to plate with chicken
- add onion to the oil and cook until transparent
- add minced garlic on top of onions and stir just until the onions start to brown (DO NOT OVERCOOK THE GARLIC)
- pour wine into skillet over the onion/garlic mixture and stir to deglaze
- add the chicken stock/broth and stir
- return potatoes to the dutch oven,(add carrots if using them) and arrange chicken pieces over the potatoes, the chicken should be above the liquid surface. Ladle out any excess and reserve for later if needed.
- cover tightly and bake for 35-45 minutes until chicken is almost falling apart. (Check after about 25 mins to see if more liquid needs to be added since different lids retain more moisture)
- Remove chicken and potatoes to a serving bowl, leaving the remaining liquid (which should be decreased by about 1/2 by now)
- Place dutch oven on stove top and bring to a rolling boil to reduce a bit.
- Add the butter and stir, scraping sides to make sure that the glazing along the edge of the dutch oven is incorporated into the sauce.
- Add drained artichoke hearts and stir until they are hot, about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the sauce with the artichoke hearts over the chicken and potatoes.
- This recipe can VERY easily be doubled, tripled or more. Works great with chicken legs and thighs too. Just adjust the size of your dutch oven/braiser pan/roaster to allow the chicken to be in a single layer on top. I use an enameled cast iron dutch oven that's as old as I am, but any heavy pan that take the heat of the oven and has a tight lid may be used with success.
The Cookchinablue 24747, VA
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!