Apple Pie Made EasyFrom pointsevenout 5 years ago
How to make it
- Make the pie crust from your favorite pastry recipe. Fit it in a 9 to 10 inch deep dish pie pan. Chill it in the fridge.
- Combine sugar through allspice.
- Apples - fresh, sweet varieties: Red Delicious, Gala, Fuji, Jonagold, Jonathon. If you can't get any of these, then try McIntosh, Wineman, Honeycrisp, etc. Peel, core and slice the apples. Make the slices less than 1 inch thick. I have one of those corer slicers that make the apple into 8 slices but the slices are 1 inch thick so I have to slice each slice again. But it is still faster than doing the entire apple by hand.
- Place the apple slices in a bowl of salted water and vinegar or lemon juice while slicing the apples to keep them from browning.
- Preheat the oven to 425*F.
- Drain the apple slices well. Layer the spices and apples in the pie shell starting with the spices:
- Sprinkle ¼ cup spice mix on the pastry.
- Arrange apples in tight formation on the spice mix.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup spice mix on the arranged apples.
- Continue the layering, ending with apple, until the filling is 1.5 to 2 inches above the top of the pie crust. Then sprinkle lightly with the spice mix. The apples will cook down.
- Bake in the lower 1/3 of oven for 10 minutes. Turn the heat down to 375*F and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.
- When the apples are soft (stick a blunt knife in the middle to test), and the top is golden brown, remove the pie to cool!