Candied Chestnut Christmas CakeFrom jo_jo_ba 7 years ago
- 1 pound fresh, in-shell chestnuts shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup Grand Marnier shopping list
- 1 tbsp vanilla shopping list
- 3 cups smooth, whole-milk ricotta shopping list
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese shopping list
- 1/4 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 2 tbsp grated orange zest shopping list
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 tbsp cold water shopping list
- 1 tbsp cornstarch shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Score the shell of each nut halfway around and spread in a deep roasting pan.
- Roast 25 minutes, until tender.
- Peel away the shells and the inner skin, chop roughly and set in a deep, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Add sugar and Grand Marnier.
- Bring to a brisk simmer and cook 12-15 minutes, stirring constantly, until very thick. Add 1-2 tbsp of water if required to prevent burning.
- Remove from heat and beat in 1 tbsp vanilla, then allow to cool 15 minutes.
- Mash the nuts slightly against the side of the pot until they are the consistency of chopped peanuts. Set aside and cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 10" springform pan and line the bottom with parchment.
- In a large bowl, using electric beaters, combine cheeses, brown sugar, eggs and orange zest until fluffy.
- Combine vanilla, water and cornstarch in a small dish until smooth, then beat into the cheese mixture.
- By hand, using a spatula, slightly fold in the candied chestnuts. Do not mix thoroughly, it should look like a ripple.
- Scrape mixture into the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then cover the pan with aluminum foil. Bake a further 15 minutes.
- Turn off oven, leaving cake inside, and let sit 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, run a knife around the edge of the cake, and chill completely before unmoulding.
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
The Rating4 people
wow, this is great! thanks for sharing!magali777 in Mexico loved it
this is great... i can't wait to try it... almost chestnut season! ^5peetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
sounds delicious Sarah!!ahmed1 in Cairo loved it