Classic Beef BourguignonFrom chefelaine 7 years ago
- 2 lb stewing beef (shoulder or hip), cubed shopping list
- 2 cups red wine, preferable Burgundy shopping list
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil for sautéing shopping list
- 5 strips of lean bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 2 cups onion, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 2 cups carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 tbsp fresh garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground clove shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose flour for dredging, placed in a large bowl shopping list
- 2 tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- Cold water shopping list
- 1 lb yukon gold potatoes, boiled in their skins until tender, cooled and cubed shopping list
- 1 tbsp butter shopping list
- 1 lb brown button mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and halved shopping list
- 10 oz bag of pearl onions, boiled and peeled as per package directions shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Stir beef and red wine together in a baking dish and marinate in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 8 hours
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Remove beef from refrigerator.
- In a large Dutch oven heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat.
- Add bacon and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bacon from pot and set aside in a medium bowl.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery to the same pot, sauté over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme and clove and sauté for 1 minute
- remove from pot and set aside with bacon.
- Drain beef from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Dredge beef in flour to coat.
- Shake off excess flour.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat.
- Work in batches and brown beef until browned on all sides, adding more oil as needed.
- When cooking the last addition of beef stir in tomato paste for the last minute.
- Add vegetables, bacon, beef, bay leaves and marinade into the pot, add enough water just to cover.
- Simmer over low for 5 minutes and de-glaze by scraping up the tasty brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Cover pot with lid and cook in oven for 3 hours.
- For the last half hour of cooking add potatoes.
- Heat butter in a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté mushrooms until golden.
- Add pearl onions and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- When the beef has finished cooking add mushrooms and onions to pot, stir, season to taste and serve warm.
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating8 people
I honestly love this! I'm a big fan of tomato-based stews! We have something here locally known as beef calderetta and its a winner. The marinade is the secret! Never used burgundy so I'll try this. Thanks Elaine... high5 to you!jrt_mom in Metro Manila loved it
haha! Another recipe you said you wouldn't give away! Thanks :) FIVE
Pete and Candydagnabbit in Barrie loved it
This is a must to make soon, I think I've been looking for the wrong recipes for months, this is probably the one I been wanting. Glad I stumbled across this. Sounds excellent. You have my 5henrie in Savannah loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!