Beef And Vegetable Barley Soup or KrupnikFrom lor 7 years ago
- 1-1/2 lbs. lean chuck, cut into chunks shopping list
- 1-2 large onions, chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp. cup pearl barley shopping list
- 1/4 cup navy/pinto beans, soaked in cold water overnight shopping list
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced but not small shopping list
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced, not small shopping list
- 1 16-ounce can stewed tomatoes shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or chopped finely shopping list
- 1-1/2 tsp. Vegeta seasoning shopping list
- 1 packet or cube of beef boullion or use 1 can of low sodium beef broth shopping list
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, chopped shopping list
- Note: My Mother-in-law always used the dried mushrooms from a Polish/Euro deli. She soaked them for 3 hours and sieved them from the liquid they were soaking in. If you can't find these, a flavourful mushroom should be used - not button mushrooms. shopping list
- 2-3 large potatoes, peeled and diced shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- fresh parsley to garnish and a crusty loaf of bread to go along with it. shopping list
How to make it
- Place the meat, onion, barley, beans, carrots, parsnips, tomatoes and garlic in a crockpot and add water and beef cube or beef broth to cover by 3 inches.
- Cover and cook on low overnight.
- Note: When I use my crockpot, I often place a folded tea towel over the top to prevent any vapor from escaping. I have been surprised to see how this method speeds up the cooking process.
- In the morning add the mushrooms and potatoes and cook on low for an additional 8-10 hours, until meat is fork tender and barley and beans are cooked thoroughly.
- Season to taste.
- Makes 8 - 10 servings.
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating5 people
great combination and flavors thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Lor, this is so wonderful and comforting! High 5!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
Made this and it was great - used shitake mushrooms and the flavour was quite strong so maybe I'll try something milder next time.
michellembelisle in Suva loved it