German -Potato dumplingsFrom minitindel 8 years ago
How to make it
- Grate the potatoes fine, or put them through a ricer.
- Add the eggs, flour, and salt, and mix well together.
- Roll this dough into 1-inch balls, and drop them into boiling water.
- Gently boil them for 10 minutes.
- Lift them out with a slotted spoon and put them into a warmed serving bowl; keep them warm while making crumb topping or a gravy.
- for not so expericened dumpling makers...........................
- who are distraught not to give up at the first miscooked, collapsed dumpling.
- The flour to be used for dumplings should be self-raising or a mixture of plain and self-raising.
- Dough made of bread, the crumbs of bread rolls, semolina, must be allowed to "rest" for a while in order to absorb moisture.
- Flour and potato dumplings are shaped with floury hands. Some doughs are made by forming a roll on a floured pastry board, which is then cut in slices, filled and formed into balls by hand.
- Dumplings as garnish in soup, meat and liver dumplings, bread dumplings should be rounded with wet hands.
- It is advisable to cook one dumpling first as a trial. If the inside is "dry," i is a success; if it is too solid, add liquid (soup, milk, water); if it tends to fall apart, perhaps bind with egg and/or flour.
- Leave the saucepan in which you boil dumplings half uncovered: only yeast dumplings should be cooked with the saucepan lid wholly on.
- Drain the dumplings carefully and serve in a warm dish. If dumplings are to be kept warm and you do not have a steamer, put them in a colander on top of a saucepan of hot water.
The Cookminitindel THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY, CA
The Rating6 people
Love dumplings Mini. These look great!pleclare in Framingham loved it
Nice post tink..turtle66 in Sacramento loved it
YES! LOVE THEM! I usually fill them up with bacon (eh, a little high cholesterol, what can you do!)elgab89 in Toronto loved it