Osso Bucco OliviaFrom angelica14 7 years ago
- My mother, who gave this recipe to me, says to use at least two veal shanks per person - assuming you decide to make this with veal. She has been making Osso Bucco this way for many years. shopping list
- 1/4 lb. pancetta, diced into quarter inch cubes (If you can't get pancetta, you can use 2/3 cup of olive oil) shopping list
- 6 veal shanks (you can use 1.5 lbs. of chicken or turkey to serve 3 if you prefer) shopping list
- salt and pepper - to taste shopping list
- 1/2 stick of butter shopping list
- 2/3 cup of cubed celery shopping list
- 2/3 cup of diced carrot shopping list
- 5 cloves of garlic - crushed, peeled and cubed into tiny pieces shopping list
- 1 medium to large onion diced into tiny cubes shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme (lemon thyme, if you can get it) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary - chopped into tiny pieces shopping list
- 2/3 cup chicken or veal stock and 2/3 cup of beef stock - combined shopping list
- 1 and 1/2 - 2 cups of your favorite, medium dry white wine shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. (no more!) tomato paste shopping list
- Gremolata (see below) shopping list
- Gremolata: shopping list
- 2 medium to large anchovies shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. finely grated lemon zest shopping list
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley shopping list
- 2 large cloves of garlic - crushed, peeled and diced into tiny pieces shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 325
- Add pancetta to a Dutch oven or heavy pot (one that can be used for cooking on top of the stove as well as in the oven)
- Add 1/2 stick of butter - stir frequently as you melt butter with pancetta or oil
- Remove cooked panceta from pan and set aside
- Season the veal shanks with a liberal coating of the salt and pepper
- Then coat the veal shanks in a moderate dusting of flour
- Add veal to the pot and brown on both sides, then remove from pan and set aside
- Add celery, carrot, garlic, onion, and herbs to the pan to cook about 8 more minutes.
- Add the veal as well as the pancetta back to the pan, along with tomato paste. Add the wine and some of the the combined stock until you have covered the veal half way.
- Let pot simmer on the stove for 3 minutes
- Place pot, or Dutch oven, in the oven and cook for 90 minutes.
- Make gremolata:
- Combine and very finely chop all ingredients and serve in a separate dish as a topping, or sprinkle for the dish.
- Provide small spoons to each person in order to scrape out the (by now) very flavorful veal marrow.
- Serve over risotto or rice.
The Cookangelica14 St Petersburg, FL
The Rating4 people
Just perfect recipe! I love the pancetta add on to this recipe - great tip! And lemon thyme is the best, I have planted last year and unfortunately it did not hold over the winter here, this year I could not find it anymore... I will use the regular ...moreelgab89 in Toronto loved it
sounds perfect!mamalou in Attleboro loved it
Great cool weather dish!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it