Steak Sandwiches Crispy OnionsFrom grizzlybear 4 years ago
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced mushrooms shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, minced shopping list
- 3/4 cup beef broth shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream shopping list
- 3 tablespoons ketchup shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce, or to taste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard shopping list
- 1 pound grilled steak, cut into 1/8-inch thick slices shopping list
- 1 long loaf of Italian-style bread, halved horizontally and each half buttered lightly, cut into 4 pieces, and toasted shopping list
How to make it
- In a skillet cook the onions in the butter and the oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until they are crisp and golden and transfer them with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- In the fat remaining in the skillet cook the mushrooms and the garlic over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to turn brown and transfer the mixture to a plate.
- Add the broth to the skillet and deglaze the skillet, scraping up the brown bits. Add the cream, the ketchup, the Worcestershire sauce, and the mustard and stir in the mushroom mixture and the steak slices.
- Divide the steak mixture among the bottom bread pieces, sprinkle it with some of the onions, and top the onions with the remaining bread pieces.