Banana cream PieFrom lasaf 7 years ago
- Crust: shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- custard filling: shopping list
- 3 large egg yolks shopping list
- 3/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy (or whipping) cream shopping list
- additional cream for garnish shopping list
- 2 ripe bananas , sliced shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare the crust. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter in a 9-inch pie plate: press the mixture evenly over the bottom and sides of the plate. Bake for 8 minutes: cool on rack.
- Prepare the custard filling: Beat the egg yolks in a medium size saucepan. Mix in the sugar, cornstarch and salt: stir in the milk. Add the butter, then set over medium heat. Cook stirring ,until the butter is melted and the mixture is bubbling and thick. About 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the vanilla.. Transfer the custard to a bowl and lay plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Whip the 1/2 cup cream into stiff peaks and fold it into the chilled custard.
- Arrange the bananas in the crust: spoon the custard over the bananas. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, decoratively pipe additional whipped cream on top of the pie.
The Cooklasaf St. Paul, MN
The Rating4 people
I love the fact that the custard is made from scratch! I may have to try this soon!:)
Okay...I just got done making this and it is awesome!!! I'm serving this for Easter! I just licked the spoon to get a little a taste...it is 5 forks good! I made it exactly as written except I added a layer of melted chocolate to the bottom of the gr...more
The homemade custard in this recipe is sooo good! It really soaked up the flavor of the sliced bananas! My guests loved this pie!
I just added a photo!
- Not added to any groups yet!