Swiss Chard Barley and Cannellini Bean SoupFrom mystic_river1 7 years ago
- 1 pound swiss chard shopping list
- ¼1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup roma tomatoes, small diced shopping list
- to taste - salt shopping list
- 5 cups chicken broth, beef broth, or water shopping list
- 1/2 cup pearl barley shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups cooked cannellini beans -canned may be used shopping list
- to taste - freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Soak the Swiss Chard in cold water for 10 min., then drain and wash well.
- Slice the stalks crosswise 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut the leaves into 1/4 inch wide strips.
- Heat the olive oil and sauté the onion.
- Add the carrot and celery and cook a couple minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, continue cooking a couple minutes longer.
- Add Swiss chard and season with a pinch of salt.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, bring stock to a boil.
- Add the barley and simmer until tender, about 35 minutes.
- Drain the barley, reserving the liquid.
- Add the barley and beans to the chard, stir well and cook for a couple minutes.
- Stir in enough reserved liquid to reach soup consistency desired. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Laddle into bowls and top with grated cheese.
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating10 people
mmmmm smells, I mean, sounds wonderful!!!morninlite in Kalamazoo loved it
love the ingredients in this and the flavormomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Wow, JM GF - this sounds and looks so comforting and delicious. Thanks for always offering us such great eats! Hugs and ^5. :)lunasea in Orlando loved it