Caramel Apple CookiesFrom janick04 5 years ago
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened shopping list
- 1/4 cup shortening shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 package (0.13 to 0.14 oz) strawberry, cherry, tropical punch or lemon-lime-flavored unsweetened soft drink mix shopping list
- About 12 craft sticks (flat wooden sticks with round ends) shopping list
- 24 caramels (from 14-oz bag) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons water shopping list
- candy sprinkles, if desired shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 400°F. In large bowl, beat sugar, butter and shortening with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in vanilla and egg. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt and soft drink mix (dry).
- On lightly floured cloth-covered surface, roll dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut with 3-inch round or apple-shaped cookie cutter. On ungreased cookie sheet, place cutouts 2 inches apart. Carefully insert 1 inch of wooden stick into side of each cookie.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat caramels and water over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. If caramel glaze becomes too stiff, heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until softened.
- Spread top third of each cookie (opposite wooden stick) with caramel glaze. Hold cookie upright to allow glaze to drizzle down cookie. Sprinkle with candy sprinkles.