Lemon Icebox PieFrom chefjeb 6 years ago
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk shopping list
- 3/4 cup pasteurized liquid eggs (see note) shopping list
- 1/2 cup lemon juice shopping list
- 1 tsp lemon zest shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 1 prebaked graham cracker pie crust shopping list
- For meringue: shopping list
- 3/4 cup pasteurized egg whites (see note) shopping list
- 3 tbs sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar shopping list
How to make it
- Beat eggs and salt until light and fluffy
- Add condensed milk and beat again untillight and fluffy
- Mix in lemon juice, zest and vanilla until blended
- Pour into pie shell and refrigerate. .
- For Meringue, beat egg whites until frothy
- Ad cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form.
- add sugar slowly and beat to stiff peaks.
- Cover refrigerated pie with egg whites and place in preheated 350 degree oven until peaks turn golden brown
- Refrigerate at least four hours before serving.
- Note: Eggs today have the potential of having Salmonella inside the shell. This recipe does not cook to kill any bacteria that might be present. Liquid eggs and egg whites, which arfe pasteurized, are available in groceries. Egg Beaters may be used in place of whole eggs for a low-cholesterol pie.
The Cookchefjeb Carthage, MS
The Rating7 people
This is awsome. I made two of these last night to take to an office potluck today. I'm up early and have just finished putting the meringue on. They are beautiful. Can't wait for noon.ramlynrose in Pearl loved it
The idea of raw eggs concerns me and so I love your wise advice to use the egg beaters or other such products. common sense and a dose of prevention are so attractive.
Thanks for a perfect pie.borinda in SoCal loved it
delish...iffyo in loved it