Norwegian Apple SquaresFrom christinem 6 years ago
- 1 cup butter shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour shopping list
- 2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1/2 tsp almond extract* shopping list
- 3 apples. peeled, cored and sliced very thin shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. allspice (or cinnamon) shopping list
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar shopping list
- About 3 tbsp, hot water shopping list
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or lemon extract shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar together; blend in flour and baking powder.
- In separate bowl, beat eggs and almond extract; add to flour mixture and beat until well-blended.
- Press half the dough into bottom of a greased 13" x 9" pan - dough will be a bit sticky, but you can do it - I have faith in you.
- Spread apples over dough amd sprinkle with allspice or cinnamon.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of remaining dough over top and press down slightly to cover apples (does not have to cover the apples completely).
- Bake for 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and spread (or drizzle) with icing, then cut into squares.
- Mix together confectioner's sugar, hot water and extract to make a thin icing.
- *NOTE: Almond, Vanilla and Lemon Extracts all work well in this receip and/or icing, except I would not use Almond in the icing.