Split Pea SoupFrom katerina 10 years ago
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- ¼ cup olive oil shopping list
- 1 teaspoon oregano shopping list
- 1 tablespoon salt shopping list
- 2 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 4 cups carrots, medium diced (6-8 carrots) shopping list
- 2 cups potatoes, boiling red unpeeled diced, about 6 small shopping list
- 2 lbs. dried split green peas shopping list
- 16 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 2 cups smoked ham, diced shopping list
How to make it
- In a large stock\soup pot on medium heat saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil with the oregano, salt and pepper until the onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, 3/4 of the peas and the chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes skimming off the foam.
- Add the rest of the peas and the ham and simmer for another 30- 40 minutes stirring frequently so things don't burn to the bottom. (Check the peas for doneness so they still have texture.)
- Taste for salt and pepper and serve.
- If reheating from freezing add a bit off water to thin it out.