Coconut PattiesFrom recipediva 5 years ago
- 1 1/4 C Confectioners sugar shopping list
- 1/2 C unsalted butter, cut into small pieces shopping list
- 1 egg white shopping list
- 1/8 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 1/4 C coconut , packed (sweetened or unsweetened) shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 4 ounce semi-sweet or milk chocolate (I found that 4 wasn't enough & would recommend 8 oz just to be safe) shopping list
How to make it
- Make the coconut filling: In a medium heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, whisk together the confectioner's sugar, butter, egg white and salt until very liquid and warm to the touch, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and, with a spoon, stir in the coconut and vanilla until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, up to overnight.
- When ready to coat the coconut, in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water melt the chocolate. When almost melted, turn off the heat and let the chocolate continue to melt completely, stirring occasionally. Keep the bowl over the warm water. If you are using milk chocolate, you will need to add 1 tsp of vegetable oil while melting.
- Form the balls: Line a small tray with parchment paper. Using a scant ounce of the coconut mixture, roll into a small ball and place on the parchment-paper lined tray. (I used a small scoop to form the balls, to ensure they were uniform in size). Repeat with remaining mixture, forming 18 balls.
- Arrange 18 paper or foil mini-cups on the tray. Gently place one of the balls into the warm melted chocolate and, using two forks, roll the ball in the chocolate until well coated. Life (do not pierce) the coated coconut ball with one of the forks, allowing some of the chocolate to drip back into the bowl, and carefully place in one of the prepared cups. Repeat with the remaining coconut balls and melted chocolate. Refrigerate until the chocolate has hardened and use as desired.
- To Prepare ahead: , the rounds can be prepared ahead and will keep for at least 1 week, refrigerated in a covered container.
- I would refrigerate for 1/2 hour or so until they are firm to the touch. The heat from my hands made these soft when I rolled them and it was semi-disasterous when trying to roll them in chocolate. Also, I place just a tad bit of coconut on top, I think it's a little preview of what the eater can expect to find inside. I'm not sure why these are called patties, as they are clearly balls, but I'm sure they would be good too if you gave them a bit of a smush. Or you can make these into a square pan cool and coat in chocolate. To make the real patties