Roast Chicken With Natural GravyFrom chefelaine 7 years ago
- 3 chickens 3 to 3 1/2 lb each shopping list
- to taste --- salt shopping list
- to taste --- pepper shopping list
- as needed --- oil or butter shopping list
- ============================== shopping list
- For Mirepoix: shopping list
- 3 onions, medium dice shopping list
- 1 1/2 oz carrots medium dice shopping list
- 1 1/2 oz celery medium dice shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups strong chicken stock shopping list
- 1 oz cornstarch , arrowroot or rice flour to thicken shopping list
- 1 fl oz water or stock cold shopping list
How to make it
- Remove giblets from chickens.
- Check inside cavities to make sure they have been well cleaned.
- Reserve giblets for other use.
- Season the insides of the chickens with salt and pepper.
- Truss the chickens.
- Rub the outside of the chickens with oil or butter (butter promotes faster browning).
- Season the skin with salt and pepper, as it will be served with the meat.
- Place the Mirepoix in a roasting pan.
- Place a rack over the Mirepoix, and place the chickens breast down on the rack.
- Place the chickens in an oven preheated to 450°F .
- After 15 minutes (not longer), turn the heat down to 325°F.
- When the chickens have been in the oven for 45-60 minutes, turn them breast side up.
- Baste with the fat in the roasting pan and finish roasting.
- Total cooking time is about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chickens from the roasting pan and hold them in a warm place until ready to serve.
- Set the roasting pan on the range over high heat and brown the Mirepoix well, but do not let it burn.
- Pour off the fat.
- Add the stock to deglaze the pan.
- Boil until the gravy is reduced by about one-third.
- Degrease carefully. ( See image)
- Stir the starch with the cold water or stock.
- Stir it into the gravy.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened.
- Strain into a bain-marie, using a china cap lined with cheesecloth.
- Season carefully with salt and pepper.
- Quarter the chickens, or carve them as shown in the images.
- Serve a quarter chicken with 2 oz gravy, or amounts of your preference
- Roast Herbed Chicken
- Place 3-4 parsley stems and a pinch each of tarragon and marjoram in the cavity of each bird.
- After turning the chicken breast up in the roasting pan, rub the skin with chopped parsley, tarragon, and marjoram.
- Roast Chicken with Gravy
- Save 4 oz of the fat skimmed from the juices and make a blond roux with the fat and 4 oz bread flour.
- Beat the roux into the juices and simmer until thickened.
- Roast Chicken with Cream Gravy
- Prepare as in basic recipe, but use only 1 1/2 qt chicken stock.
- Boil until reduced to 1 qt and strain.
- Add 1 qt (1L) hot milk and thicken with 8 oz blond roux.
- Finish with 4 fl oz heavy cream.
- ***** The veggies served with this dish are creamy whipped potatoes, glazed root vegetables, roasted garlic cloves, and peas.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating54 people
I agree with Binky. Good job on those posts!juels in Clayton loved it
Nothing in the world smells better than a roasting or baking chicken! I love your recipe, ChefElaine! Now this is great cooking! Thank you for your recipe!annieamie in Los Angeles loved it
Perfect, Elaine. Flagged too.
Petedagnabbit in Barrie loved it