Cafe CaramelsFrom midgelet 7 years ago
How to make it
- Cut parchment paper into 2" square pieces; about 24, to use to wrap the candies.
- Line a cooking sheet with parchment or coat lightly with safflower or sunflower oil.
- Silicone mats are fine, too.
- Set aside while you cook the ingredients.
- To avoid impacting the flavor of the candies, use a wooden spoon for stirring versus a metal one.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, heat together the cream, espresso powder and salt just until bubbles appear, no longer.
- Stir in the honey, and then bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and, stirring constantly, continue cooking until the mixture reaches 260°F. which should be about 20 minutes.
- Always use the candy thermometer to verify the temperature, not the clock.
- Pour the mixture into a heat-resistant bowl, allow to cool then refrigerate about 10 minutes to thicken further.
- To make into individual candies, first stir the mixture, then using the wooden spoon, then drop one tablespoon of the mixture at a time on the baking sheet.
- Allow to cool completely, then shape each into balls or flatten and cut into squares, or roll into a long tubular shape and cut in 1 1/2 increments.
- Wrap each in the pre-cut parchment paper by placing the candy square in the middle of the paper, fold over the sides, and then twist each end.
- Set aside in a cool place to completely set or refrigerate.
- To present as gifts, place 6 pieces in a large square of colored cellophane, fold into a reticule then tie with a ribbon.
- YIELD: 24 caramels; recipe easily doubles or triples.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating2 people
Awesome recipe, very simple ingredients. Love it!juels in Clayton loved it