Southern Living Caramel CakeFrom henrie 8 years ago
- Cake: shopping list
- 2/3 cup butterscotch chips shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 2-1/4 cups flour shopping list
- 1-1/4 cups sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp. baking soda shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1/2 cup shortening shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 tbl. cornstarch shopping list
- 1/2 cup cream or evaporated milk shopping list
- 1/3 cup water shopping list
- 1/3 cup butterscotch chips shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 2 tbl. butter shopping list
- 1 cup chopped pecans shopping list
- Frosting: shopping list
- 1 cup whipping cream shopping list
- 1/4 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt 2/3 cup butterscotch chips in 1/4 cup water, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl combine flour, remaining cake ingredients and cooled butterscotch mixture at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 20-30 minutes, or until cake tests done in the middle.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch; stir in cream, 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup butterscotch chips and 1 egg. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, and nuts.
- In a small bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place 1 cake layer top side down on serving plate. Spread with 1/2 of filling mixture. Top, with second layer, top side up; spread remaining filling on top.
- Frost sides of cake with frosting. Refrigerate.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookhenrie Savannah, GA
The Rating6 people
See how you are?lasaf in St. Paul loved it
Boy, this really sounds Fantastic! Got my 5shirleyoma in Cove loved it
wow henrie love this one ya know i love caramel thanks buddy.......five
hugs tinkminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it