Flourless Carrot CakeFrom ttaaccoo 5 years ago
- 1 cup almonds, with skins shopping list
- 2 large carrots, peeled and trimmed shopping list
- finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon shopping list
- juice of 1/2 lemon shopping list
- 1tsp. vanilla shopping list
- 3 large eggs, separated shopping list
- 2/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 4 Table. cornstarch shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1 Table. pine nuts shopping list
- powdered sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven 350F
- Butter sides of a round cake pan, 8 X 2 inches and line the base with baking parchment, and butter the parchment.
- Using a nut mill, grind almonds to flour and set aside. (see note at asterisk re: nut mill vs. food processor on the page with Portuguese Almond and Potato Cake) Using the same nut mill, grate carrots into fine shreds. There should be 1 1/2 cups, quite firmly packed, or 6 oz. Place in a bowl, add lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until they start to stiffen, sprinkle with half the sugar, a little at a time andcontinue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Beat egg yolks with remaining sugar until very thick and pale lemon in color. Stir in carrot mixture and ground almonds. Fold in egg whites. Sift cornstarch and baking powder on top and fold in lightly but thoroughly.
- Spoon into prepared pan, smooth top with a rubber spatula, and sprinkle with pine nuts. Bake for 40 minutes, until tester comes out dry. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife blade around edge of cake and unmold onto a rack. Peel off paper, reverse onto rack right side up, and let cool completely.
- Dust edges with a 2 inch band of powdered sugar(let the toasted nuts show in the center)before serving. Serves 8.