Chocolate Bread PuddingFrom midgelet 7 years ago
- 1 (12-inch) loaf challah , cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 12 cups) shopping list
- 4 cups heavy cream shopping list
- 2 cups whole milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder shopping list
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate , chopped shopping list
- 10 large egg yolks shopping list
How to make it
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Toast bread on rimmed baking sheet, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Increase oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Grease 13- by 9-inch baking pan.
- Heat 1 1/2 cups cream, milk, cocoa, espresso, and 1/2 cup sugar in saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until steaming and sugar dissolves.
- Pour warm cream mixture over toasted bread and let stand, tossing occasionally, until liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring additional 1 cup cream to simmer in saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until smooth.
- Transfer 1 cup chocolate mixture to medium bowl and let cool 5 minutes (cover pan and reserve remaining chocolate mixture for serving).
- Add egg yolks, remaining cream, and remaining sugar to bowl with chocolate mixture and whisk to combine.
- Transfer soaked bread mixture to prepared pan and pour chocolate custard mixture evenly over bread.
- Bake until pudding is just set and surface is slightly crisp, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool 30 minutes.
- Warm reserved chocolate mixture over low heat, then pour over bread pudding.
- Serve. (Leftover bread pudding should be refrigerated; reheat individual portions in microwave.)
- Make Ahead:
- In step 4, once soaked bread mixture has been transferred to prepared pan, the pan can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove plastic and proceed with recipe as directed, increasing baking time to 55 to 60 minutes.
- Let reserved chocolate serving sauce cool, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Heat sauce in microwave when needed.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating6 people
Ed is a bread pudding freak. This is right up my alley too what with its being chocolate! Thanks, joan. My 5.
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
Love the espresso in here - great share. Thanks!lunasea in Orlando loved it
This sounds delicious! I'm ready for some right now. 5 forks. Thanks,
Paulapaulasue1 in Litchfield Park loved it