Persian Saffron RiceFrom becca1nine 8 years ago
How to make it
- Rinse the rice under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- Soak rice in cold, salted water for 2 to 3 hours.
- Bring 4 cups salted water (1 l) to a boil in a medium pot.
- Add the rice and stir.
- Boil 4 minutes or until rice is almost cooked.
- Drain and rinse under warm water.
- In the same pot, heat the butter and a splash of water until sizzling.
- In a bowl, stir together only 1/2 cup rice, the yogurt, and the egg.
- Put it in the pot and let cook for a few seconds.
- Add the remaining rice and the saffron, in a mound or cone shape (the middle is higher than the sides of the rice pile in the pot).
- Poke several holes in the rice to the bottom of the pot (the handle of a long wooden spoon works well).
- Cover the pot with a lid wrapped in a damp kitchen towel or damp paper towels.
- Cook over medium-high heat for a couple of minutes then lower heat to medium-low and cook for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Place the bottom of the hot pot in a cold water bath for 30 seconds.
- Spoon the rice onto a large platter and scrape the bottom of the pot with a metal spatula to release the crust (tahdig).
- Put chunks of the crust from the bottom of the pot on top of the rice.
The Cookbecca1nine Surrey, CA
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!