Ham Hock and Sausage SoupFrom choclytcandy 5 years ago
- 2 ham hocks shopping list
- 2 cups dried beans (your choice), well-rinsed shopping list
- 2 onions, chopped shopping list
- 1 bunch celery, chopped (leaves and all) shopping list
- 2 cups canned whole tomatoes, broken up shopping list
- 12 carrots, chopped shopping list
- 1-2 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 1 teaspoon basil shopping list
- 1 tablespoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 pound smoked Polish sausage, thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 zucchini, coarsley chopped (optional) shopping list
- 1 pint sour cream shopping list
- fresh parsley,chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Place ham hocks, beans, onions, and celery in a large kettle. Add water to barley cover. Bring to a boil then immediately lower heat. Simmer, covered, until bean are tender; about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove ham hocks and set aside. Add tomatoes and carrots to soup, along with broth and seasonings. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes. During that time, remove meat from hocks, discarding all fat.
- Skim as much fat from soup as possible. (If making ahead chilling will make the job easier.) Return meat to soup, along with sausage and zucchini. Simmer 5 minutes.
- To serve, top each steaming bowl of soup with a good dollop of sour cream and chopped parsley for color.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
The Rating4 people
Printed this one out for mass consumpion by me.
Will be making this over and over, good combination of flavors going on here . Five Forks
schubo52 in North Chicago loved it
This sounds sooooooo... good :)donman in Hammond loved it
Another great one. Thanksdragonwings647 in Duchesne loved it
Cookbook Reviews148 members
Comfort Foods769 members
Southern Essentials223 members
Southern Cooks554 members
Soup Is Good Food562 members
Good Down Home Southern Food195 members
Mississippi Girls33 members
LOUISIANA LADIES76 members
GOOD KENTUCKY COOKING43 members