Homemade Caramel Corn with picsFrom thegoldminer 7 years ago
- • 8 cups popped corn (apprx. 1/3 cup unpopped kernels) shopping list
- • 1 cup packed light brown sugar shopping list
- • 1/2 cup light corn syrup shopping list
- • 1 tablespoon butter shopping list
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- • 1/2-1 cup Spanish roasted peanuts for those who can eat nuts. shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Preheat Oven to 300.
- 2. On a baking sheet with sides, spread out cooked popcorn and set a side.
- 3. In a medium-sized heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt.
- 4. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- 5. Cook until the mixture reaches 250 on a candy thermometer and is at the hard-ball stage or for me it just looks really melted, about 3 minutes. I never use a thermometer for this.
- 6. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in baking soda. It foams.
- 7. Immediately pour the mixture over the popcorn (and nuts), stirring the mess until most of the kernels are coated.
- 8. Bake the popcorn mix for 15 minutes. Stir, coating any kernels that were not coated at the beginning, and bake for 5 more minutes.
- 9. Remove from the oven and let cool for 2 minutes. With a wooden spoon or spatula, stir the popcorn as it continues to cool, coating it evenly and breaking up any large clumps.
- 10. Popcorn can be stored in an air tight container in a cool place for up to 1 week. Now why would it even last that long before it was eaten?
- 11. I used one of my big plastic bowls to stir the popcorn and melted ingredients and then scraped onto the backing sheet. I lightly sprayed the bowl with canola oil so the stuff would not stick.
- 12. Anyway, this tastes so good and I really love the Spanish peanuts.
- 13. It really is easy. Pop the corn, melt the stuff, pour, mix, stir, bake, cool and eat. Enjoy JJ
The Cookthegoldminer Sacramento, CA
The Rating7 people
Love the baked caramel corn. Caution for those who have never done this: use a big enough saucepan because it will foam up high. I didn't when I was in college and have a scar on the back of my hand from the intense burn I got from grabbing the pa...moremomoften in nowhere loved it
Oh,yeah.A man after my own heart.I bet this doesn't last long,I LOVE caramel corn.Mom used to make this,though it's been years and she is gone now.Thanks for posting and bringing back some good memories!
Have a nice week.
Carrie :)hoosiermom68 in Merrillville loved it
I am going to note your recipe next time I make it - I made my recipe and it uses 2 sticks of butter to 2 cups brown sugar. (I make a big batch with 5 qts of popcorn - a heaping 3/4 cups of seeds.) I made a batch with pecans, cashews and peanuts fo...moremomoften in nowhere loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!