Onion Soup in EnglishFrom ironorchid 5 years ago
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter shopping list
- ½ tbsp. olive oil shopping list
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar shopping list
- ¼ cup brandy shopping list
- ½ tbsp. all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cups beef broth, homemade or canned shopping list
- ½ cup of water shopping list
- salt, freshly ground black pepper, 1 bay leaf, ¼ tsp. thyme shopping list
- 4 (1/2-inch thick) slices French bread, toasted shopping list
- 4 oz coarsely grated gruyere cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Cut the onions in long thin slices. Mince the garlic.
- Heat the butter and oil in a soup pot over moderate heat. Add the onions and gralic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar and cook the onions until caramelized for 5 more minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the brandy. Return the pot to the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost dry.
- Sprinkle the onions with the flour and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth and water. Season the soup with salt, pepper thyme. Add a bay leaf. Bring the soup to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, with the cover slightly ajar, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Grate the cheese coarsely.
- Arrange 4 ovenproof crocks or deep soup bowls on a baking sheet and ladle the hot soup into them.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese, put a piece of toasted bread on top and sprinkle some more cheese on top of it.
- Broil the soups until the cheese is melted and bubbling for 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- 1 serving: 352 cal, fat - 18g, carbs – 27g, protein -12g.
The Cookironorchid FL
- Not added to any groups yet!