Broccoli And Three Cheeses SoupFrom krumkake 8 years ago
- 2 big bunches of broccoli, stems removed (about 4 to 5 cups of flowerets) shopping list
- 2 (32 ounce) boxes chicken stock shopping list
- 4 tablespoons butter shopping list
- ¾ cup diced sweet onion shopping list
- ¾ cup celery, peeled and sliced (yes, I peel the outside of my celery stalks with a potato peeler and you will see it has a milder flavor and won’t be stringy - try it!) shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, freshly minced shopping list
- ¼ cup flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons Penzey’s 4/S (Special seasoned Sea Salt: a blend of sea salt, sugar, extra bold pepper, paprika, onion, turmeric, garlic, and extracts of celery, rosemary and thyme) shopping list
- 1 cup cubed American or Velvetta cheese shopping list
- 1 cup Extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated shopping list
- ½ cup grated gruyere cheese shopping list
- ½ cup sour cream shopping list
- 1 cup low-fat or regular half-and-half shopping list
- Roux for thickening: shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted shopping list
- 6 tablespoons flour shopping list
- For garnish: shopping list
- grated extra sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
- crushed garlic cheese croutons shopping list
How to make it
- In a large soup pot, bring stock to boiling and add broccoli flowerets; boil until broccoli is tender-crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove broccoli from pot and set aside.
- While broccoli is boiling, melt 4 tablespoons butter in skillet; add onion and celery.
- Sauté onion and celery just until onion becomes transparent.
- Add garlic to onion/celery in pan; stir for about 1 minute, allowing the garlic flavor to infuse, but do not let it brown or burn.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup flour and 4/S seasoning (or your own blend of seasonings if you do not have Penzey’s) over veggies and garlic; stir briskly to coat them with the flour and salt.
- Add flour coated veggie mixture to chicken stock; whisk to blend into the stock thoroughly.
- Add cheeses and broccoli to pot, stirring gently until cheeses are melted.
- Use an immersion blender to pulverize most of the soup contents. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can mash the contents using a potato masher, or put about ¾ of the soup into a blender (in batches, if needed) to pulverize, leaving some of the veggie chunks in the soup.
- Prepare roux by stirring 6 tablespoons flour into melted 2 tablespoons of butter to form a thick paste.
- In a small bowl, stir about ½ cup of the soup into the roux to thin it out, and then stir it back into the soup; heat soup thoroughly.
- A few minutes before serving, stir about ½ cup of the hot soup into the sour cream, stirring to thin it enough to pour it back into the soup in a stream (I’ve found this helps keep the sour cream from clumping up in the hot soup and/or separating).
- Add half-and-half to soup; heat soup thoroughly.
- Place soup in bowls; garnish with some grated cheddar and a handful of crushed croutons.
The Cookkrumkake Chicago Suburbs, IL
The Rating7 people
Krumkake, I love broccoli soup, I love your tweaking, and the four diffrent cheeses. Your spice blend sounds very interesting. You are an inspiration to us all!!gagagrits in Irmo loved it
I agree with Gaga, love this soup and the four cheeses in here! Looks and sounds hearty and so comforting!juels in Clayton loved it
YUM doesn't cover it!!angelgal in New Philadelphia loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!