Chocolate Cherry Valentine TorteFrom peetabear 7 years ago
- 2 eggs, separated shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided shopping list
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S cocoa shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk* shopping list
- CREAM FILLING (recipe follows) shopping list
- chocolate whipped cream (recipe follows) shopping list
- 1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling, chilled shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three heart-shaped baking pans or three 9-inch round baking pans. **
- 2. Beat egg whites in small bowl until foamy; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Stir together flour, remaining 1 cup sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add oil, buttermilk and egg yolks; beat until smooth. Gently fold egg whites into batter. Pour about 1-2/3 cups batter into each prepared pan.
- 3. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Bake remaining layer, if necessary. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.
- 4. Prepare CREAM FILLING. Place 1 layer on serving plate; pipe or spoon 1-inch border 1/2 inch thick around outer edge of layer. Spread half of pie filling in center. Top with second cake layer. Spread layer with half of remaining CREAM FILLING. Top with third layer. Spoon remaining pie filling on top of cake to within 1 inch of edge.
- 5. Prepare CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM; frost sides of cake. Pipe top edge with remaining CREAM FILLING. Refrigerate until serving time. Cover; store leftover torte in refrigerator. 8 to 10 servings.
- * To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
- ** If only two pans are available, reserve remaining batter in refrigerator for the third layer while first 2 layers bake.
- CREAM FILLING: In bowl, combine 1 cup (1/2 pt.) cold whipping cream with 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; beat until stiff.
- CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM: In bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa. Add 1 cup (1/2 pt.) cold whipping cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; beat on low speed to blend. Beat on high speed until stiff.
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating7 people
Mmmmm - thanks for posting another great one.jett2whit in Union City loved it
Love it, love it, love it! Just in time for Valentine's, too!juels in Clayton loved it
Oh my Peeta chocolate whipped cream and rich buttermilk in the cake with a ton of cherries on top what a great Valentines tort.
Five forks ad a great big smile :)
I will stop by for a slice of this to have with coffee tomorrow if t...moretrigger in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!