Beef and Guinness StewFrom moggy 7 years ago
- * 1kg beef stewing steak shopping list
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided shopping list
- 2 tablespoons plain flour shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper shopping list
- 2 large onions, chopped shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, crushed shopping list
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree shopping list
- 375ml s Guinness shopping list
- 3 carrots, chopped shopping list
- 1 sprig fresh thyme shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley to garnish shopping list
How to make it
- 1 Toss the beef with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Dredge the beef in this to coat.
- 2 Heat the remaining oil in a deep frying pan or casserole over medium-high heat. Add the beef, and brown on all sides. Add the onions, and garlic. Stir the tomato puree into a small amount of water to dilute; pour into the pan and stir to blend. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- 3 Pour 1/3 of the stout into the pan, and as it begins to boil, scrape any bits of food from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. This adds a lot of flavour to the stock. Pour in the rest of the stout, and add the carrots and thyme. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving. Garnish with chopped parsley.