Asian-Style Shrimp Soup with Egg FlowersFrom chefelaine 6 years ago
- 3 1/4 lb small shrimp shopping list
- 3 1/4 lb crab shells see note shopping list
- 1 lb onion peeled and chopped shopping list
- 10 oz celery stalks medium dice shopping list
- 1 each garlic head cut in half horizontally shopping list
- 7 oz red bell pepper seeded, medium dice shopping list
- 2 oz oriental sesame oil shopping list
- 1 oz black peppercorns coarsely crushed shopping list
- 1 oz sea salt shopping list
- 2 1/2 oz Fresh ginger root peeled, fine dice shopping list
- 6 each lemongrass stalks roughly chopped shopping list
- 4 1/2 qt chicken stock shopping list
- 7 oz red bell pepper, small dice shopping list
- 10 oz Lean chicken meat minced shopping list
- 1 lemongrass stalk, chopped shopping list
- 2 oz dill stems shopping list
- 1 Kaffir lime leaf optional; see note shopping list
- 2 star anise (2 pieces) shopping list
- 1 tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- 2 tbsp saffron threads shopping list
- 6 egg whites shopping list
- 4 oz small shrimp, peeled and cooked shopping list
- 8 tsp chives, chopped for garnish shopping list
- 8 tsp dill sprigs for garnish shopping list
- 4 tsp Japanese pickled ginger for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Using a pestle and mortar, crush the whole shrimp and crab shells.
- Heat the sesame oil in a brazier over medium heat.
- Add the shrimp, crab shells, onion, celery, garlic, and red pepper.
- Fry until golden, stirring.
- Add the peppercorns, sea salt, ginger root, and lemon grass to the pot and mix well.
- Pour in the chicken stock, stir, and bring to a boil.Cook at a low simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Cool and refrigerate overnight if you want to develop a stronger flavor.
- Strain the stock into a clean saucepot.
- Heat the stock until warm, not hot.
- In a food processor or blender, blend together the red pepper, chicken meat, lemongrass, dill stems, kaffir lime leaf, star anise, tomato paste, and saffron threads.
- Add 3 egg whites and mix in well.
- Add this mixture to the warm stock.
- Whisk continuously over medium heat.
- When just about to boil, a frothy crust will form.
- Stop whisking.
- Make a small hole in the center of the crust with a spoon, taste the soup beneath, and season through the hole.
- Cook at low simmer for 20 minutes, then strain through a china cap lined with cheesecloth.
- At serving time, reheat the soup.
- Whisk 3 egg whites to break them up, but do not whip to a froth.
- Pour into the soup in a thin steady stream, stirring slowly with a fork to create a fine thread effect.
- Serve the soup in warm bowls and garnish with the shrimp, chives, dill sprigs, and Japanese pickled ginger.
- If crab shells are not available, substitute half their weight of whole small shrimp or shells.
- Kaffir lime leaves are available in markets that sell Asian or Indian spices.
People Who Like This Dish 2
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating10 people
Wow chef love this recipe alot of flavor going on here!!!gagagrits in Irmo loved it
fantastic recipe great flavors thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
What an interesting recipe, Chef! Love the way the stock is prepared here, and I never heard about making a crust with egg whites! How neat!juels in Clayton loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!