Southern Zesty Baby Back RibsFrom shandy 7 years ago
- **After cooking these ribs in the oven, you can throw them on the grill instead of broiling them** shopping list
- 2 slabs of baby back ribs (about 3 pounds) shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- 2 bacon slices shopping list
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme shopping list
- 1/2 onion shopping list
- 3 smashed garlic cloves shopping list
- 2 c. ketchup shopping list
- 1 c. peachpreserves shopping list
- 2 T. Dijon mustard or 1 T. dry mustard shopping list
- 2 T. brown sugar shopping list
- 1/4 c. molasses shopping list
- 2 T. red or white wine vinegar shopping list
- 1 t. ground cumin shopping list
- 1 t. ground paprika shopping list
- SPECIAL ITEM: Kitchen Twine shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Put the ribs on a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Stick them in the oven, and let the ribs bake, low and slow for 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Wrap the bacon around the middle of the thyme sprigs and tie a little bow with kitchen twine so you have a nice bundle. Heat a 2-count (while pouring count 1 -1000, 2 -1000)of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the thyme bundle and cook slowly for 3 to 4 minutes to render the bacon fat and give the sauce a nice smoky taste. Add the onion and garlic and cook slowly, without coloring, for 5 minutes. Add all of the rest of the sauce ingredients, give the sauce a stir, and turn the heat down to low. Cook slowly for 20 minutes to meld the flavors. Put some sauce in a separate bowl for basting, reserving the remaining sauce for serving.
- Baste the ribs with the sauce and let them continue cooking, basting twice more, for 30 more minutes. When the ribs are cooked, take them out of the oven. You can let them hang out like this until you're ready to eat. When ready to eat, preheat the broiler for 5 minutes and broil the ribs, basting with the sauce. They should become crisp and charred, about 5 minutes on each side. Use a mesh strainer to remove the onion and garlic from the sauce if desired and serve with ribs.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookshandy Port Orchard, WA
- Not added to any groups yet!