Peanut Butter Crispy BarsFrom michellem 5 years ago
- peanut butter Crispy Bars shopping list
- For the crispy crust: shopping list
- 1 ¾ cups crisped rice cereal shopping list
- ¼ cup sugar shopping list
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup shopping list
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- For the milk chocolate peanut butter layer: shopping list
- 5 ounces good-quality milk chocolate, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter shopping list
- For the chocolate icing: shopping list
- 3 ounces dark chocolate (60% to 72% cacao), coarsely chopped shopping list
- ½ teaspoon light corn syrup shopping list
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter shopping list
How to make it
- Make the crispy crust:
- Lightly spray a paper towel with nonstick spray and use it to rub the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan
- Put the cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- Pour ¼ cup water into a small saucepan. Gently add the sugar and corn syrup (do not let any sugar or syrup get on the sides of the pan) and use a small wooden spoon to stir the mixture until just combined. Put a candy thermometer in the saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat and bring to a boil; cook until mixture reaches the soft ball stage, 235 degrees F.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the butter, and pour the mixture over the cereal. Working quickly, stir until the cereal is thoroughly coated, then pour it into the prepared pan. Using your hands, press the mixture into the bottom of the pan (do not press up the sides. Let the crust cool to room temperature while you make the next layer.
- Make the milk chocolate peanut butter layer:
- In a large nonreactive metal bowl, stir together the chocolate and the peanut butter.
- Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and cook, stirring with a rubber spatula, until the mixture is smooth. Remove the bowl from the pan and stir for about 30 seconds to cool slightly. Pour the mixture over the cooled crust. Put the pan n the refrigerator for 1 hour, or until the top layer hardens.
- Make the chocolate icing:
- In a large nonreactive metal bowl, combine the chocolate, corn syrup, and butter.
- Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and cook, stirring with a rubber spatula, until the mixture is completely smooth. Remove the bowl from the pan and stir for 30 seconds to cool slightly. and pour the mixture over the chilled milk chocolate peanut butter layer and spread into and even layer. Put the pan in the refrigerator for 1 hour or until the topping hardens.
- Cut into 9 squares and serve. The bars can be stored in the refrigerator, covered tightly, for up to 4 days.
- Source: Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookmichellem Idaho, ID
The Rating6 people
wow awsome recipe great post thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
yeah buddy I had to hurry up and check this out! Yumjett2whit in Union City loved it
I am sure these will be addicting. They will even talk to me. "Lori you can eat just one more."lasaf in St. Paul loved it