Cornbread In Cast Iron SkilletFrom thenewagecook 5 years ago
- 1/4 cup of butter shopping list
- 1 cup of white or yellow cornmeal (I use fresh ground) shopping list
- 1 cup of all purpose flour or Bisquick or fresh ground whole wheat flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup of granulated white sugar shopping list
- 4 tsp of baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp of salt shopping list
- 1 cup of milk or buttermilk shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1/4 cup of vegetable or olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- (Preheat oven to 425F.)
- Place the butter into a 10-inch heavy bottom ovenproof frying pan or cast iron skillet and heat in the oven until butter is melted.
- NOTE- Heating the butter in the skillet until it's hot and melted before adding the batter, guarantees a desirable CRISPNESS on the outer edges of the bread.
- While the pan is heating and the butter is melting, prepare your cornbread batter.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, buttermilk and egg until well blended- wire whisk if possible.
- Pour batter into the HOT and buttery skillet (batter will sizzle), return to the oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until bread is golden brown and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for approximately 5 minutes.
- Invert cornbread onto a large plate and cut into wedges.
- Makes 6 - 8 cornbread wedges.
The Cookthenewagecook Miami, FL
The Rating10 people
Quick, easy, & delicious! My family raved and devoured it! Thank you for sharing!gitana8 in loved it
This is the way cornbread is supposed to be cooked. Nice! dooleydooley in Krum loved it
Ya gotta love the crustiness of cornbread in cast iron. I wouldn't make it any other way! Thanks, new and you got my 5.
Lorrainelacrenshaw in Horsham loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!