Chile Rellenos - Chicken And Rice Stuffed Poblano Chiles With Creamy Tomatillo SauceFrom txgreg 6 years ago
- 4 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, and seeded shopping list
- 1 Cup rice, cooked and cooled shopping list
- ½ Cup chicken, grilled and diced shopping list
- 1 Cup monterey jack cheese, shredded shopping list
- 6 tomatillos, roasted, peeled, and pureed shopping list
- ½ Cup whole milk, Half & Half, or Cream shopping list
- salt to Taste shopping list
How to make it
- To prep the chiles: Heat under a broiler or over gas flame until skin is blistered and beginning to char. While still hot, place the roasted chiles in a covered bowl or Ziploc bag. After about 15 minutes the skin can be easily removed.
- To roast the tomatillos: Remove husks and rinse off sticky sap. Place on a baking sheet and cook at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until soft. After they cool the skins can be easily removed.
- Slit each pepper from stem to tip and remove seeds and as much of the membrane/veins as possible. Set aside.
- Pulse roasted and peeled tomatillos in a food processor or blender to desired consistency. I like about a 50/50 proportion of liquid to pulp. For a smoother sauce, blend more and strain.
- In a medium saucepan add tomatillo puree and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- While sauce is cooking, mix cooked rice and diced chicken and pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stuff each of the roasted chiles with the rice mixture and some of the shredded cheese. Fill them completely, even over-flowing. Place the stuffed chiles in a baking dish.
- Finish the tomatillo sauce by removing from heat and whisking in the milk or cream. Taste and add salt to taste.
- Pour tomatillo sauce over chiles, sprinkle with more cheese, and bake uncovered 15-30 minutes until cheese in melted and slightly browned.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cooktxgreg Dallas, TX
The Rating6 people
Absolutely Perfectgoblue434 in Anniston loved it
oh yeah baby!!!!!!!! love it ..........yummy
tinkminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
This Texas gal definitely approves. Sounds fantastic. Great post and a high 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it