Clays Quick Puff Pastry From Chez Panisse Desserts By Lindsay ShereFrom pieplate 7 years ago
How to make it
- Mix the flours and salt together and set aside.
- Cut the butter into ½-inch pieces and lay on a plate covered with wax paper Chill in the freezer until very hard.
- Cut the hard butter into the flour mixture, pulsing until the pieces are about ¼ “.
- Pour into a bowl with high sides.
- Mix the water and lemon juice and add by tablespoons to the butter-flour mixture, sprinkling the liquid and turning the mixture over with a spatula. Use as little liquid as possible, and mix only until moistened. This dough will not hold together. Yet.
- Turn the mixture out onto a floured pastry cloth (OK, floured bread board or counter) and press together into a rectangle. It will look very very rough, big chunks of butter, whole nine yards.
- Press the rectangle hard to make the dough hold together—don’t knead it, just press.
- Roll from the center out, not back-and-forth, until ½ “ thick.
- Fold one narrow end over the center third of the dough, and fold the other end over that, making three layers of dough. Try to keep the corners square so the layers will be even, and work as quickly as you can.
- If the dough starts to soften or rebound, refrigerate at least 15 m. You will give the dough a quarter-turn, roll out to ½” thick, and fold into thirds again. Do this two more times. Do not be in a hurry!
- Wrap the dough tightly in plastic and chill at least one hour. Take it through the turn-roll-fold routine two more times, and chill for another hour.
- This dough is now ready to be rolled out for tarts or any other dessert you might like. It will rise highest if you use it within 2 hrs of the final turn, but I’ve pulled from the freezer, let it thaw a few hours in the fridge, and been quite satisfied.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookpieplate Claremont, CA
The Rating4 people
"5"FORK!!!!!mjcmcook in Beach City loved it
very clever.puddlewonderful in Beverly Hills Adjacent loved it
Wonderful recipe. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks & 5 forksbrianna in loved it
Make Your Ingredients222 members
French Group132 members
We Love It But135 members
The Holiday Dessert Table124 members
Vive La France28 members
Butter Is Better68 members
Pate Brisee21 members
International Baking67 members
Pies Pies Pies66 members
My Passion Is Baking62 members