Easy Mexican-style Tri Tip For Burritos Or EnchiladasFrom annieamie 5 years ago
- 1 large tri-tip roast, well-trimmed of excess fat shopping list
- 1, 28 ounce can of diced, chopped or tomato strips with basil shopping list
- 1 large package of taco seasoning (I prefer Lawry's blend) shopping list
- 2 medium white or yellow onions, chopped shopping list
- *Optional: if you want to add some heat to the recipe, add a few sliced jalapeno peppers or some chipolte peppers, chopped and seeded. shopping list
How to make it
- Turn on the crockpot to High.
- On your stove, brown the tri-tip in a pan without oil until lightly browned on both sides.
- Place beef in crockpot.
- Cover the beef with the canned tomatoes then sprinkle with the taco seasoning.
- Sprinkle the chopped onions over the seasonings and cover the pot.
- Cook for at least six hours until tender.
- When the beef is tender, remove from crockpot and chop, shred or slice. (If the meat isn't tender, return cut beef back into the pot and cook for 30 minutes to an hour longer.)
- The beef is now ready to be used in your favorite recipes. Use the sauce, too as its full of flavor!
- *** I cook 2 tri-tips at the same time. I chop up one for burritos or enchiladas and save the other one which can be used like a pot roast or frozen for another meal. This beef is great when sliced and served on rolls for sandwiches.
- You can also just slice and serve the beef as it is. Serve a few slices over some white rice and spoon some of the sauce over the top of the beef.
- Also, you can cook this in the oven using a Dutch Oven or casserole dish. Bake at 350 for four hours. I'm sure that you pressure cooker folks out there could do this in your pressure cooker as well. Just don't add any liquids as the canned tomatoes give the meat just enough sauce to cook in.
- Our Favorite Burritos Recipe...
- Using large flour tortillas (the huge ones for burritos), heat up your tortilla in a large frying pan until it is warm and a few large bubbles form in the middle of the tortilla.
- Spread the tortilla with warmed refried beans on one half of the tortilla. Sprinkle with shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Place the hot shredded beef over the cheese. Sprinkle with freshly chopped tomatoes, onions and cilantro. Add a few teaspoons of sour cream and roll up and seal.
- Serve on a plate next to a small salad with a few tablespoonfuls of bottled salsa on top and some freshly-cooked corn OR a large good scoop of refried beans sprinkled with shredded cheese.
- And Yessssss, you can make this with chicken! Try using six to eight chicken breasts. You can use the frozen breasts or tenders that come in those large plastic bags or fresh breasts. The cooking time will be about four hours with a crockpot set on high. You can cook this all day on low, too. Happy munching!
People Who Like This Dish 7
The Cookannieamie Los Angeles, US
The Rating5 people
good recipe and extra points for the burrito cat.!! that cracked me up...^5peetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
So the secret ingredient is the Taco seasoning! Sounds yummy, and I love the pictures, especially the cat one!juels in Clayton loved it
Awsome tips and recipe luv the Burrito cat he seems quite content LOLmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
CrockPots Are Cool Again853 members
Mexican Food317 members
Everyday Chefs68 members
MEXICAN FOOD424 members
Fall Dishes39 members
Onion Junkies100 members
Five Or Fewer180 members
CrockPot Capers164 members
Honey Whats For Dinner34 members
Dont Knock It Till You Try It74 members