Chocolate Banana StrudelFrom juliagulia 9 years ago
- 4 (17- by 12-inch) phyllo sheets, covered with 2 overlapping pieces plastic wrap and then a damp kitchen towel* shopping list
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- 2 firm-ripe bananas shopping list
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips shopping list
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water shopping list
- Confectioners sugar for dusting shopping list
- Accompaniment: lightly sweetened whipped cream shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Arrange 1 phyllo sheet on a clean work surface with a short side of phyllo nearest you, keeping remaining sheets covered, and brush with some butter. Work quickly so that the phyllo does not dry out. Top phyllo with 3 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter.
- Trim the bananas so they are about the same length. Set the bananas one next to the other (so that they look like an equal sign), on lower third of phyllo. Be sure to leave about a 1-inch border on both sides. Sprinkle chocolate over bananas, then fold sides of phyllo toward middle - up and over the ends of the bananas. Then fold bottom edge of phyllo over bananas and roll up bananas in phyllo. Use a little butter at the end to make the phyllo lay flat.
- Transfer strudel, seam side down, to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or to a buttered baking sheet, then brush strudel with beaten egg. Cut 4 (1/2-inch-long) steam vents diagonally along top of strudel with a sharp knife. Bake in middle of oven until golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. Cool slightly on a rack, then dust with confectioners sugar.
- Top with whipped cream and serve warm or cold.
- * In a package of phyllo, there's two "bags". Each bag contains about 20 sheets.
The Cookjuliagulia Seattle, WA
- Not added to any groups yet!