French Baguette casserole With Egg Spinach Mushrooms and GruyereFrom victoriaregina 5 years ago
- 12 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed well shopping list
- 2 loaves french baguette bread (you’ll need approximately 1 & 1/2 loaves) shopping list
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for sauteing shopping list
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly shopping list
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms shopping list
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin shopping list
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese, grated shopping list
- 6 eggs shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste shopping list
- grated nutmeg (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium stockpot, bring 1 & 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add spinach, cooking 2 minutes. Drain in colander; press out any remaining water by placing spinach in a cotton, kitchen towel and squeezing out moisture. Chop roughly and set aside.
- On an angle, cut French baguette bread into 1/2″ thick slices. Using a basting (or pastry) brush, lightly oil both sides of each slice with olive oil. Spray your favorite casserole dish (13×9x2″ or 11×9x3″) with non-stick cooking spray, and line the bottom of dish (and sides if necessary) with the prepared bread, slightly layering and overlapping the slices.
- Over medium heat, warm a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and saute until fragrant, about 40 seconds. Add sliced mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more, stirring frequently. Add ground cumin and spinach, stirring to combine.
- Layer cooked onion/mushroom/spinach mixture over the bread, spreading evenly. Layer shredded Gruyere over the vegetables, spreading evenly.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk eggs and milk with salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently and evenly, pour egg mixture over the layered bread and vegetables in casserole dish.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour to let the custard mixture absorb into the bread.
- After 1 hour, preheat oven to 375 degrees F and remove casserole from refrigerator. Uncover and bake for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until cheese begins to turn golden brown and just crispy. Knife inserted near center should come out moist, but relatively clean.
- Remove from oven, allow casserole to cool slightly, then cut into portions for serving. If desired, garnish individual portions with a pinch of ground nutmeg.
- Serve warm with green salad or fresh fruit.
- Time for lunch!
The Cookvictoriaregina USA, VA
The Rating9 people
Wow, this sounds amazing and your pictures are superb. Fantastic post my friend and a very high 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Great recipe - thansk for the post. Can't wait to try this one! High 5valinkenmore in Malott loved it
I've got all the ingredients and this recipe is for sure deserving of 5 forks.
Cheers Vickie!gullion in Glasgow loved it