French Onion SoupFrom texaspapajohn 6 years ago
- 1 stick butter shopping list
- 6 Cups. thinly sliced onions (about 3 large sweet yellow or vidalia onions) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- 2 1/2 qts. beef broth (10 beef bouillon cubes and 10 cups water) shopping list
- 1/2 C. dry red wine, (can also use cooking wine) shopping list
- sprig fresh thyme (optional) shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 baguette, (French bread) cut into as many ½inch slices as needed shopping list
- 2-3 slices provolone cheese per cup shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the butter in a heavy 5-6 qt. pan. When the butter has melted, add the onions and cook slowly, covered for 10 minutes. Add the sugar and salt. Cook onions slowly until onions caramelize and turn to a rich brown color. Do not let them burn! This will take 45-60 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook 5 minutes, still over low heat. Add the stock and check for seasoning. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- To serve:
- Toast the French bread slices 15 minutes in a 350-degree oven. Ladle the soup into an ovenproof cup or bowl, add the toasted bread and cover with the cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes or 5 minutes under a hot broiler.