Spicy Zucchini Rice And Sausage Casserole With A Cheesy Corn SauceFrom asheats 4 years ago
- 1 ½ cups long-grain brown rice (do not use enriched, use the stuff that takes an hour to cook) shopping list
- 3 cup chicken stock (home-made is the only way to go) shopping list
- 4 cups zucchini, diced shopping list
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1 large onion, diced shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 1 ½ cups milk shopping list
- 3 tbsp ap flour shopping list
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded and divided shopping list
- corn kernels cut from 2 ears of corn shopping list
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 8 oz bulk breakfast sausage shopping list
- 4 oz Neufchatel or cream cheese shopping list
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375. Pour the rice into a large baking dish. Bring the broth to a simmer in a small saucepan; stir the hot broth into the rice along with the zucchini, bell peppers, onion, and a dash of salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking another 35-45 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, whisk the milk and flour together in a small saucepan, cook until bubbling and thick, 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and the corn add 1 ½ cups of the cheese, stir until melted, set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and cook the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Stir this and the cheese sauce into the rice after it has finished cooking. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and dollop the Neufchatel all over, scatter on the jalapenos and return the casserole to the oven for 10 minutes.
The Cookasheats BIG BEAR LAKE, CA
The Rating4 people
I Happen To Have Some Squash Left Over. I'll Be Making This Sometime Real Soon.goblue434 in Anniston loved it
I will have to make this when my kids are home. That way I'll only get one serving. Otherwise I would be raiding the fridge at midnight.lasaf in St. Paul loved it
I made this last night and it was awesome!! Everything is on point. I did use Italian sausage because that's what I had on hand and it worked very well in this recipe. Thanks Asheats! More to read here moremommyluvs2cook in Santa Fe loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!