Gibanica - Yugoslavian Cheese PieFrom midgelet 5 years ago
- 8 oz cream cheese shopping list
- 1 pkg farmers cheese , amt was not specified shopping list
- 8 oz cottage cheese shopping list
- 1 cup sour cream shopping list
- a small piece of feta cheese ( optional ) shopping list
- 1 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 6 to 8 eggs separated shopping list
- 1 pkg frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 pound of phyllo leaves shopping list
How to make it
- Mix softened cream cheese with the farmers cheese, cottage cheese, feta, sour cream, oil, egg yolks and spinach until very well blended
- Beat egg whites and fold into mixture.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grease either a pan ( ? 9 x 13 ) or a large round pot
- Line the bottom of the pan or pot with 2 pastry leaves sheets
- Reserve two sheets for the top
- Dip the remaining leaves, one by one into cheese mixture until the sheet is completely soaked
- Withdraw the sheet and while doing so, take some of the filling and place it in the pan or pot spreading over the phyllo sheet.
- Repeat procedure with the rest of the sheets, one by one staking them until all sheets are used.
- If there is any filling leftover, pour in the pan and smooth it over the top.
- Cover with the last two reserved sheets.
- Butter the top sheets
- Bake at 350F 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour or until a knife inserted comes out clean or well heated, golden ; cover with foil if browning too fast
- Cool slightly, cut into sqaures to serve
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating5 people
this looks so wonderful. i love the cheeses in this!chichimonkeyface in Albany loved it
This is really a beautiful recipe. I am itching to make it!m11andrade in Kankakee loved it
There is no more Yugoslavia unfortunately - So just to let everyone else know that this is a now recipe eaten mostly in Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia. Great recipe and reminds me of my heritage thank you.aussie_meat_pie in My Kitchen loved it
Pass Down Recipes313 members
Eastern And Southeastern European Flavors43 members
Dairy Preparations8 members
Ethnic Family Traditions Our Heritage Together134 members
Dont Knock It Till You Try It74 members
101 A Cheese Place143 members
Made With Phyllo50 members
Popeyes Paradise A Spinach Place66 members
All Things Cheese76 members
Pies Pies Everywhere Is Pies45 members