Polish Carrot-poppy Roll CakeFrom kutadkubilik 6 years ago
- 4 cups flour shopping list
- 1 tbspoon fresh yeast(or dry yeast) shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 egg yolks shopping list
- 1 egg white shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- a pinch of salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup lard (melted) shopping list
- 3/4 cup grated carrot* shopping list
- 1 handful poppy seeds( or walnuts crushed) shopping list
- (optionally add 1 tablespoon grated orange or lemon zest - it is not included to the traditional recipe, but it will improve the taste deffinitely) shopping list
- icing: icing sugar + lemon juice shopping list
- few poppy seeds more to sprinkle shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Heat the milk (but don't boil it), add yeast, sugar and 1 tablespoon flour. Set in a warm place and let it grow.
- 2. Sieve flour, add yeast, water, whisked 2 yolks with 1 egg, salt and melted lard (everything in room temperature, as it always should be when baking yeast cakes!) and knead the dough. When everything combines well and you obtained elastic dough, form a ball and let it grow in a bowl. When it doubles its surface, knead again.
- 3. Sprinkle your workplace with some flour. Now decide if you want 2 rolls or 1 roll and six lovely buns. In next point I will first continue about how to make roll cake.
- 4. Roll the dough
- 5. When your dough is rolled into 0,5 - 1 cm thick, smear it with egg white. I do it always in Christmas poppy seed or nut roll cakes to avoid gaps between dough and filling. Now, sprinkle it with grated carrot and a handful of poppy seed (and optionally lemon or orange zest, which is highly recommended and, if you wish the roll to be sweeter, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar)
- * 3/4 cup is to fill 1 roll cake. prepare also another 3/4 cup to fill the second roll if you decide to bake 2 rolls
- 6. Now slowly fold the dough. Put it gently on a sheet of baking paper. Sprinkle with the resting few poppy seeds. Bake in 350 f oven about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 7. Prepare the icing my mixing lemon juice with icing sugar and pour it on already cooled roll cake.
- 8. About sweet breakfast buns - after kneading-growing process, just form lovely round-shaped buns (I make six) and let them grow for a while. Smear with egg white and sprinkle with poppy seeds and bake until golden brown.
People Who Like This Dish 6
- jezzka Port Orange, FL
- quaziefly ALL POINTS
- refugeesrecipelisting Global, CA
- peetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
- momo_55grandma Mountianview, AR
- krystynainsydney Bondi Junction, AU
- midgelet Eastern, USA
- jo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
- rosiek Waterloo, CA
- kutadkubilik Istanbul, TR
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookkutadkubilik Istanbul, TR
The Rating5 people
Awsome roll cake thanks bunchesmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
what a beautiful looking cake...love all the interesting new recipes you post here...thank you so much ...five forks
peetapeetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
another great post!midgelet in Eastern loved it