French Onion SoupFrom michaelc 8 years ago
- 1 1/2 cup red onion, sliced shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup yellow or white onion, sliced shopping list
- 1 cup leeks, sliced and cleaned shopping list
- 1/2 cup scallions, sliced shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 tblsp butter shopping list
- 4 cups low salt/low fat beef broth (use vegetable broth for a vegetarian option) shopping list
- 1 cup red wine shopping list
- 2 tsp thyme shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- crusty French bread, sliced into 1/2" thick rounds shopping list
- 1/4 cup gruyere cheese, grated shopping list
How to make it
- Add onions, garlic, butter and a heavy pinch of salt to a large pot over medium heat.
- Stir until onions begin to turn translucent
- Add broth, wine, thyme and a teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes
- Toast bread.
- Place 1-3 croutons in a bowl and ladle soup over it. Sprinkle on a little cheese and serve hot.
The Cookmichaelc Rosedale, NY
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!