Homemade 5-spice Powder

• pointsevenout 12 years ago
    Recipe by Deliathecrone: Homemade 5 Spice Powder
    This is a very fragrant fresh spice blend. Going to baptize it tomorrow in a rice dish.
    Used half the recipe to fill the old spice bottle.
    Used a spice grinder. It's a little more fluffy than the fine ground store bought stuff.
    Flag
  • pointsevenout 12 years ago said:
    What a wonderful spice blend. I'm tasting flavors I never have before in my rice dish.
    Flag
  • pointsevenout 9 years ago said:
    Giving this recipe a bump. Made it again.
    Flag
  • NPMarie 9 years ago said:
    I'll bet it was fragrant..would be excellent in a rice dish!
    Flag
    Can't find the star anise in any of my local stores. The Mexican shop, my source, closed up. Guess I'll have to purchase it on-line.
    Flag
  • mommyluvs2cook 9 years ago said:
    Do you use Szechuan peppercorns or regular? I have Szechuan pepper already ground from Penzey's but haven't seen the whole version...
    Flag
    Couldn't find any but did find some multi-colored peppercorns that didn't say Sechuan. Had one of the local stores make a special order for the peppercorns and star anise. Plus I'll try to get some on-line.
    Last time I made this I used black peppercorns.
    Grinding them at the house bumps up the freshness flavor. I found that out with nutmeg.
    Flag
    Found a new Mexican foodstore with star anise. My new go-to place for dried herbs and spices.

Research on Szechuan peppercorns reveal that they are not peppercorns but seed husks. They have a numbing effect on the mouth so that it eases the effect of hot peppers and allows one to enjoy the smoky and fruity flavors of hot peppers.
    Might have to go on-line for this last item. It was banned in the U.S. until 2005.
    Flag
    Spent 5gal of gas to go to the Far East Market to get some Szechuan peppers. Called first to verify. But what they tried to sell me was red pepper flakes and seeds. Not happening!
    Picked up a good size bag of star anise so my trip was not completely wasted.
    Flag
  • mommyluvs2cook 9 years ago said:
    That's cool info on the Szechuan Peppercorns. I wonder why they were banned? Oh well! I use my ground Szechuan on sauteed veggies a lot...it does have great flavor!
    Flag
    There was some kind of plant disease that the powers that be were afraid would be transmitted. Now a requirement for the Szechuan to be baked at a certain temp for a certain time lets them be imported again. Although I believe the plant can be grown here in the U.S.
    Flag
    Chinese prickly ash is the source for Szechuan peppers. It can be a bush or a tree and it can be grown in the U.S.
    I finally found a 4oz packet for $3 at Choi's market. Also picked up a packet of turmeric for a buck, a fortunate coincidence as I was running very low. I'm sure those prices undercut American supermarket prices severely. I'm pleased.
    The peppers are labeled dried capiscum and are vacuum packed. There is enough in that 4oz to last me for years to come.
    Popped a few in my mouth to check out the taste and feel. Whiffing the bag gave me a sense of varnish. It did not translate to the palate. Did not get a lemony overtone, as some have described. There is a numbing effect on the tongue after holding the husks in my mouth for a minute. There is no heat associated with it even though it is labeled capiscum.
    These are going in my next batch of five spice powder.
    Flag
  • pointsevenout 8 years ago said:
    Made my first batch of 5 spice powder using real Szechuan peppercorn husks.
    I only need 1/4 the recipe to fill my container. Guess I'll have another report once I use the spice powder mix on my rice. Interested to see how much numbing effect the Szechuan has.
    Flag
  • pointsevenout 7 years ago said:
    Made another batch using the real deal Szechuan.
    Flag
  • mommyluvs2cook 7 years ago said:
    I need to make this, I don't really care for the 5 spice powder I have.
    Flag
  • frankieanne 7 years ago said:
    You must use a lot of 5 spice powder, pso. I bought a jar about three years ago for a recipe and it was the last time I used it. I'm not crazy about it.
    Flag
  • pointsevenout 7 years ago said:
    I use a half to a full teaspoon in my rice and I make a lot of rice.
    Flag

Have a comment? Join this group first →