Burnt Sugar CakeFrom bondc 7 years ago
- Cake: shopping list
- 1 c. sugar shopping list
- 1/2 c. boiling water shopping list
- 1/2 c. butter shopping list
- 1 1/3 c. sugar shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 2 1/2 c. cake or all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 1/2 t. baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 t. salt shopping list
- Icing: shopping list
- 6 T. butter shopping list
- reserved caramel syrup (see directions) shopping list
- heavy cream shopping list
- 3 c. confectioners sugar shopping list
- 1 t. vanilla extract shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Carmelize the sugar: Put the cup of sugar in a heavy pan (cast iron is good) over low heat. Stir constantly, and the sugar will gradually start to melt. Keep stirring. When the sugar has entirely melted, and is golden, VERY SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY add the boiling water, stirring it in. Watch out for steam when you do this, and be very careful not to get any of the caramelized sugar on you. Stir constantly, cooking it over low heat, until it is completely smooth. Pour 1/4 c. of the syrup into a measuring cup, and add enough water to make 1 cup total syrup (you'll use the rest to make the icing).
- Cream the butter and 1 1/3 c. sugar well. Beat in the eggs, and sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add the flour alternately with the 1 c. syrup, and blend thoroughly. Pour into two greased and floured 9-inch layer pans and bake 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before icing.
- Make the icing. Add enough cream to the syrup to make 1/2 c. total liquid, and heat with the butter, until the butter is melted and the mixture is combined. Beat in the confectioners sugar and vanilla, and ice the cake.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookbondc State College, PA
The Rating1 people
This is a lovely cake!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it