Roast Sage And Onion Turkey LegFrom sitbynellie 4 years ago
- 1 large turkey leg, divided into drumstick and thigh - about 3.5 - 4 lbs. weight in total shopping list
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder shopping list
- 1 tbsp. onion powder shopping list
- 1 tbsp. dried sage shopping list
- 1 tbsp. chicken bouillon powder - I use Knorr's shopping list
- 1 onion, cut into 8 pieces shopping list
- About ½ pint hot water shopping list
- 2 tsp. cornstarch shopping list
- juice of half a lemon shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to Gas 7/220C/425F
- Into an oven dish, just big enough to hold it, place the turkey leg.
- Sprinkle over the garlic powder, onion powder, dried sage and chicken bouillon powder
- Place the onion pieces around the meat.
- Pour the hot water over, so as to dissolve the dry ingredients. The liquid should be about ¾ of the way up the dish.
- Insert a meat thermometer (if using) in the thickest part of the thigh (NOT touching bone as this will give a false reading).
- Cover the dish tightly with foil.
- Cook for 1 hour.
- Uncover, turn the leg over and cook for a further half to one hour.
- A thermometer should read 75-80ºC.
- Juices should run clear when the thickest part of the leg is pricked with a skewer.
- Lift the leg portions out and put on a dish for carving. Remove the string or netting.
- Pour the juices into a saucepan, and remove as much of fat from the surface as possible.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Heat the liquid gently, and add a 'slurry' made from the cornstarch and a little water.
- Simmer for a few minutes until thickened.
- Carve the meat and serve with the gravy.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cooksitbynellie Glasgow, GB
The Rating9 people
Very Nice Susan, Looks Really Tasty!goblue434 in Anniston loved it
Sound tasty!cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
I have saved and flagged this one and 5 forks of course. Great post!victoriaregina in USA loved it